Dialectical behavioral therapy, or DBT, is one standard approach used to treat mental illnesses, substance abuse, and other similar problems. Understanding what the treatment entails and how it can help you makes finding help that much easier.
Understanding Dialectical Behavior Therapy
Dialectical behavioral therapy is a specific type of cognitive-behavioral therapy. This treatment approach can help people learn healthy coping mechanisms and skills that will enable them to experience more success in life. For example, these skills often include practicing mindfulness, maintaining control over emotions, dealing with stress productively, and experiencing healthier relationships with others.
Benefits Associated with DBT
Dialectical behavioral therapy can offer an array of benefits that can help a person get their life moving in a better direction. Be aware of the following list of advantages associated with DBT:
- Motivation to accomplish goals– In some cases, a person can become overwhelmed by the challenges they are going through. These challenges can prevent them from having the motivation to take action to find appropriate solutions for their problems. Cognitive behavioral therapies can boost internal motivation.
- Interpersonal skills– Experiencing healthy relationships with others is an essential element in life. Learning to express limitations healthily, communicate effectively, and show respect for others while maintaining personal boundaries are all benefits that various forms of cognitive behavioral therapy can provide.
- Control over emotions– Emotional instability can be a massive problem for those affected by mental health conditions, substance abuse, and similar issues. Learning to control the feelings that a person is feeling at any given time is a vital benefit that can accompany different types of cognitive behavioral therapies.
- Lower incidences of relapse– The fear of experiencing a relapse is something that just about everyone going through addiction treatment suffers from. In fact, relapses following addiction treatment are relatively common. However, the incidence of this threat can be lowered substantially by cognitive behavioral therapies that teach emotional balance and self-control.
- A higher degree of presence– A primary focus of several types of cognitive behavioral therapies is the practice of mindfulness. Mindfulness teaches the importance of being present in any given situation. This practice can alleviate anxiety, improve emotional regulation, and help a person experience a greater degree of satisfaction in life.
Combining Mental Illness and Substance Abuse
Were you aware that many people who experience substance abuse suffer from a dual diagnosis? This means that they also have at least one other serious condition, such as a mental illness. Proper treatment with DBT and other therapies can provide the quality relief necessary to experience a more balanced and productive life. For those who have been through a frightening experience, trauma therapy can provide additional benefits.
Finding Support for Troubling Challenges
It may be comforting to know that you don’t have to suffer alone any longer. Getting the right kind of professional support can provide you with peace and comfort as you begin this important healing journey for your family. Remember that reaching out for help is a sign of courage, resilience, and a desire for positive change.
DBT with Morningside Recovery
Morningside Recovery is a high-quality addiction treatment center serving the needs of the Orange County, California area. The caring and experienced Morningside Recovery staff place importance on providing a holistic approach to treatment. In this manner, they can successfully cater to the physical, spiritual, emotional, and mental needs of each.
Don’t allow an existing problem with addiction to prevent you from having a prosperous future. You can overcome even the most troubling issues with the right type of professional help. Call 855-631-2135 to learn about Morningside Recovery and how dialectical behavior therapy can help you and your family today.