The support of a strong, inspiring community is often essential to an successful addiction treatment recovery. I have the wonderful privilege of interacting with lively support groups every day, and I continue to be in awe of just how eager everyone is to lend a helping hand and share their stories. Whether the recovering addict has a day or ten years under their sobriety belt, they are still deeply appreciated and cheered on. I have gathered nine inspiring sober success stories and would like to share them with you. I hope they serve as a beacon to guide you in your own journey.
- Thirty months ago today, I was arrested. 30 months ago, my life was never going to be the same. I lost it all for the last time. I finally felt the rock bottom of the downward spiral I was free-falling through for many years. I was scared, lost, uncertain, lonely, and in total chaos looking for someone else to blame for where I was. When I finally came to, I realized the true bondage lied within myself. The true culprit was me. Today, I still have a long way to go, and I am nowhere near the goals others have set for me. I have, however, passed many I have set for myself. I thank God for that and the men and women in the rooms that told me I wasn’t alone. They were right. Today, I celebrate 30 months clean with a family that loves me again and an education in the making. – Benjamin S.
- Been to the gates of Hell; lost almost all on the way there. Looked the devil in the eyes and heard a voice behind me say, “I can help you never do this again. All you must do is trust me, and never drink or do drugs again.” Many years have passed because God keeps his word… Ciao. – Chuck H.
- 364 1/2 days sober! Excited to hit 1 year! My life was a freaking mess, and now I have everything I need! Thank you! – Jackie M.
- Today I celebrate, in gratitude and with humility, 60 days free from alcohol. I honestly cannot remember the last time I went this long without drinking. And I truly give it all to God. Recovery is the best thing I’ve ever done, second to accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior. Thank you for your support! If you are reading this and considering recovery or are in the early stages of recovery, I urge you to stick with it. I will never regret it. I feared labels and thought admitting that I was an alcoholic would box me out and isolate me further, but stepping out of denial and into God’s grace was the most liberating, freeing experience – and it is healing my relationships with family, friends, God, and ultimately myself! – Jillian A.
- 141 days clean today! I amaze myself with every passing day! Anyone struggling should know that if I can do this, ANYONE can! Almost to the five-month mark. Woo-hoo! – Wendy M.T.
- After two decades of pain and confusion, I finally surrendered. I surrendered to the universe, to God, and to my disease. It took a while, but ultimately, I would surrender my resentments, my self-will and my self-condemnation. I would stop fighting everything and everybody. I would start over. I would get well, and I would grow up. And life just keeps getting better and better. – Karen M., 9 years sober
You might want to check out Karen’s poetry collection, Words to Ponder About Life, Love and Men. It is truly lovely and inspiring!
- 17 months sober from all drugs and alcohol. Whoop whoop! – Melanie M.
- I’m alive, and this day was good. If allowed the next day, I know it will be a good day. I never had that simple gift before I found sobriety. – John P.
- I’ve been clean for two years today. I always remind myself where I was back then because the second that I forget, I could go back to that place! I don’t have to be ashamed of what I did; I’m not that person anymore! It was the easiest and hardest choice of my life. I just choose not to pick up! – Amanda M.
I hope that these success stories have fueled your resolve to seek recovery, stay sober or simply be grateful for life. I intend to make this a monthly installment, so if you would like to contribute your sober success stories, please let me know!
By Angela Lambert