Many treatment approaches are used to help people from all walks of life to overcome addiction. Individual therapy, also known as personal therapy, is one tool that remains useful for handling the difficulties that come along with addiction. What is this type of therapy? What benefits does it offer? How can you settle on the right treatment center for your needs?
How Does Stress Affect Addiction Risk?
Substance abuse and stress can have a connection in many ways. Experiencing the many pressures that daily life can bring about often increase a person’s risk of developing an addiction. Many people begin by merely using addictive substances to deal with everyday stress, loss, disappointment, or pain. However, this pattern of behavior can sometimes lead to a physical dependence on addictive substances. This physical dependence, in turn, can lead to a severe addiction that needs immediate treatment.
What is Individual Therapy for Addiction?
Individual therapy is a form of counseling that takes place in a private setting. Unlike group therapy sessions, an individual getting personal counseling will be alone with one individual who serves as their counselor. This intimate type of arrangement can provide a number of advantages that allow for healing to start.
What are the Benefits of Individual Therapy?
Individual therapy offers many unique advantages when it comes to handling addiction-related problems. The following benefits can be experienced by many who opt for this form of therapy:
- Supportive setting– Those struggling with addiction sometimes feel alone. They might think that others don’t understand their daily struggles, for example. Just having someone to listen to their concerns can often make these individuals feel less alone in the world.
- Trusting relationship– Contrary to group therapy settings, personal therapy allows the individual to develop a close and trusting bond with a counselor. This connection can make them feel more comfortable talking about very personal matters.
- Identify triggers– Each person affected by substance abuse has certain situations that trigger them to engage in this self-destructive behavior. A qualified counselor can help an individual learn to recognize their unique triggers and deal with them appropriately. This reduces the risk of relapse following treatment.
- Self-acceptance and forgiveness– Many of those dealing with addiction face issues with self-blame and poor self-esteem. While these are normal feelings, they are not conducive to a full recovery. These people can often benefit greatly from learning to forgive themselves for their past behaviors.
- Addressing accompanying problems– In cases where a dual diagnosis might exist, a trained counselor can assist in identifying and treating all conditions. Ensuring that all conditions receive attention helps assist with improved treatment outcomes in the long run.
Navigating the Path to the Right Treatment Facility
Once you begin looking for a treatment facility that offers individual therapy, you may be surprised that a lot of options exist. Don’t let the process of choosing a facility prevent you from taking action now. It’s often a scary process. However, remember that the first step may be the hardest. Once you have taken action, you can begin making use of the skills and support that come with a reliable treatment center.
Morningside Recovery is a rehab facility in Orange County, California. The professional staff at Morningside offer comforting holistic therapy options that make the treatment process easier for everyone. Additionally, they are equipped to create a targeted approach to meet the needs of every individual. If you have an interest in individual therapy, turn to us. Contact Morningside Recovery at 855-416-8202 to learn about your options.