When an individual is facing a severe alcohol addiction, it’s only reasonable for them to be concerned about the alcohol detox timeline. While this portion of the treatment process can be overwhelming and frightening, it’s worth every endeavor to gain control over the influence of alcohol addiction.
How to Define Alcohol Abuse
Those who administer proper alcohol detox programs refer to alcohol abuse in specific terms. While many may think of alcohol abuse regarding intoxication, a person doesn’t need to get drunk regularly to have a severe problem. Instead, an alcohol abuse problem is a pattern of destructive behavior in which a person’s drinking routine is causing problems in their life.
Common Alcohol Detox Timeline Symptoms
Most people who enter a treatment facility for alcohol abuse experience anxiety over the prospect of alcohol detox. Having an understanding of the alcohol withdrawal timeline can help you know what to expect during this phase of treatment. Any of the following detox effects may occur:
- Digestive problems– Nausea, vomiting, and intestinal cramping are common symptoms of those going through the detox process. As your digestive system adjusts to the absence of alcohol, these uncomfortable symptoms will diminish.
- Extreme irritability– Removing the physical influence of alcohol from the body can affect the mood in significant ways. As a result, it’s normal to feel irritable or on-edge a lot of the time as the withdrawal period continues.
- Overwhelming anxiety– Alcohol can serve to calm the nerves and promote relaxation in some people. As a result, these individuals may face extreme levels of anxiety on a temporary basis as they adjust to being without the relaxing effects of alcohol.
- Aches and pains– Similarly, the increase of stress in the body can result in headaches and other pains. Some treatment facilities offer appropriate pain management techniques to allow people to manage this effect more successfully.
- Insomnia– It’s also common for those facing detox to experience severe sleep issues. Many people find themselves too uncomfortable or anxious to fall asleep as they normally would.
These symptoms tend to begin slowly and can increase in severity the longer the body goes without alcohol. Going through detox with medical staff surrounding you can help ensure you stay safe through the process.
How is Alcohol Detox Handled Professionally?
Based on the effects in the list above, the alcohol detox timeline can certainly sound like a frightening experience. However, treatment facilities with a quality alcohol detox program are prepared to help you handle these challenges through a variety of innovative techniques. Your treatment team will make every effort to help the process go as smoothly as possible for you.
What Should I Do for My Family Member?
Having a family member or friend who is suffering from alcohol addiction can be a difficult experience. In addition to helping your loved one find appropriate alcohol addiction treatment, you’ll want to offer them daily support now. Simply feeling that they have someone on their side might make them feel less stressed about taking the difficult first step into a rehab center. Help your loved one to understand that seeking care from a treatment center with a successful alcohol detox program can help them overcome their challenges.
About Morningside Recovery
Morningside Recovery is a drug and alcohol treatment facility serving the needs of the Orange County, California area. By offering diverse addiction treatment services in a peaceful and holistic setting, Morningside Recovery can skillfully address the needs of all of those affected by addiction.
Don’t allow addiction to remain in control of your life. Call 855-631-2135 to learn about the alcohol detox timeline with Morningside Recovery.