Alcohol abuse and addiction affect millions of American adults each year. Unfortunately, impacted relationships, jobs, and other family responsibilities can be devastating for many individuals. Additionally, the effects of alcohol abuse are often far-reaching.
How is Alcohol Abuse Clinically Defined?
Professionals describe alcohol abuse as a distinct behavioral pattern directly related to destructive alcohol consumption. If a person’s current use of alcohol is negatively impacting their relationships, career, or health, it’s likely that they have a problem.
Signs of a Drinking Problem
Because the effects of alcohol misuse can be serious and far-reaching, it’s important for people to be able to recognize the signs of a problem so that they can seek help. Although alcoholism affects individuals differently, here are some common signs.
- Social withdrawal– The misuse of alcohol can lead to mood swings, anxiety, depression, and a loss of interest in activities that individuals enjoyed previously. As a result, the individual may also withdraw from family and friends.
- Poor performance– The effects of alcohol misuse can lead to a wide variety of physical symptoms that can negatively impact a person’s ability to function regularly throughout the day. As a result, they may suddenly have difficulties performing their job correctly or taking care of essential family obligations.
- Secretive behavior– It’s extremely common for those experiencing alcohol addiction to begin displaying secretive behaviors surrounding their drinking habits. For instance, they may want to drink in private to hide how much alcohol they consume, or they may hide liquor in various locations throughout the home.
- Preoccupation with drinking– With alcohol addiction, a preoccupation with drinking and purchasing more alcohol usually occurs. A great deal of time is spent either engaging in drinking, recovering from the effects of drinking, or planning for the next period of alcohol consumption.
The Effects of Alcohol Abuse
Those facing addiction tend to experience the following powerful effects of alcohol misuse:
- Long-term health damage
- Self-destructive behavior
- Destruction of relationships
- Financial struggles
These are just a few of the ramifications that can come about from the continual misuse of alcoholic beverages. Proper treatment is essential to restore a quality of life and happiness in those struggling with addiction.
Why Seek Professional Treatment for Alcohol Misuse?
The effects of alcohol misuse can last for years or even decades. In fact, the majority of those with alcohol addiction need additional help in breaking free from this problem. Drug and alcohol addiction treatment centers exist to cater to the specific needs of individuals facing these complex issues. Alcohol withdrawal treatment is an in-depth process. It requires certain treatments, so it only makes sense to seek treatment from a quality facility. This rehab should be capable of handling all aspects of recovery.
Morningside Recovery within Orange County, California is here to help you with the effects of alcohol. We understand how important lasting recovery is to those who seek it. With rehab programs that include rehab for men and women, our facility has what you need. We will help you to beat alcohol addiction.
Don’t allow the effects of alcohol or your dependency on the substance control your life. Find recovery with Morningside Recovery and make better choices, every day. Contact us now at 855-416-8202 to learn how to begin treatment.