In the medical field one of the most difficult areas to diagnose is that of addiction. Addiction takes many different shapes and forms, and can affect people of all ages. Generally speaking, addiction can be described as being addicted to a substance or activity and being dependent to that substance or activity. In today’s society, addiction has become one of the fastest growing areas of medicine.
- Addiction Definition – Medical definition of the term addiction and how it pertains to people.
- Definition of Addiction – Helpful page from the American Society of Addiction Medicine which provides information on addiction.
- What is an Addiction? – Definition of the medical conditions and problems of addictions.
- Types of Addictions – Brief definition and descriptions of several of the more common types of addiction that people face.
Addiction can take many different shapes for people. Some people have addictions to drugs or alcohol, so that they feel the need to take a particular drug for either pain relief or to feel better. The same can be said for the consumption of alcohol. These addictions if unchecked, can result in serious health issues for the users.
Other addictions can result in future health or financial problems for the patient if the pattern of use or abuse are not curtailed. Some of the addictions that can result in future problems include addictions to gambling, sex or smoking. In addition, eating disorders such as Bulimia and Anorexia are also considered addictions to many people.
Once the addict has discovered that they have a problem, or if a friend or relative believes a problem exists, it is important for the patient to receive proper help. Many medical professionals are available to help diagnose the problems of addictions and help chart the path to treatment. While many addictions are never completely cured, proper treatment methods can help put patients on the right path to keeping their addictions in check. However, even if they have been free of symptoms of addictions, the generally run the risk of being addicted again.
- Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse – Web page which provides information on the signs and symptoms of alcohol abuse.
- Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism – Informative website from the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism covering many topics on the subject.
- Alcohol Information – Useful information about the problems associated with alcohol abuse.
- Alcohol Addiction – Information on the warning signs that people should look for to determine whether you may be addicted to alcohol.
- Drug Addiction – Web page which provides information on various types of drug addiction.
- Understanding Drug Abuse – Facts and information providing a great deal of background information on drug abuse and addiction.
- How to Help a Drug Addict – Article which provides information on what can and should be done to help a person addicted to drugs.
- Drug Addiction Information – A useful article which covers a variety of issues on addiction issues related to drugs and medication.
- Gambling Addiction – Information on the warning signs about compulsive problems with gambling.
- Gambling Addiction Information – Useful article which describes what gambling addiction is and what symptoms to look for to get treatment.
- Pathological Gambling Symptoms – Informative page which provides warning signs and symptoms to look for to spot problems with gambling.
- Why is Smoking Addictive? – Helpful page which provides information on why smoking can be addictive.
- What is Smoking Addiction? – Article and collection of information about addictions to smoking and help on how to stop.
- Smoking Addictions – Information on addictions to smoking and tobacco and what to look for as warning signs.
- Psychology of Smoking – Background information on the problems and issues related to smoking and tobacco usage.
- What is Sexual Addiction? – Article which provides a definition and symptoms of addictive sexual behavior.
- Is Sex Addiction Real? – Useful information which explains what sexual addiction can be and how it is a problem.
- Symptoms and Diagnosis – Web page which contains information on what to look for and how sex additions can be treated.
- Eating Disorders – Definition and symptoms to help uncover what are eating disorders.
- Eating Disorders Defined – Medical article from the Mayo Clinic which provides a definition of eating disorders.
- Eating Disorder Information – Informative page which contains information on the various types of eating disorders that are commonly found and how they are treated.
- Effective Addiction Treatment – New York Times article which provides a useful look at treatment choices.
- Drug Addiction Treatment – Useful article which contains the principles needed to assist in drug addiction treatment.
- Addiction Treatment History – Informative page which outlines the past and present in addiction treatment.
- Addiction Treatments – Helpful page which discusses some of the new prescription treatments.
By Michelle Conway