Many people you’ve heard about every day have dealt with addiction problems ranging from alcohol addiction to dependence on harder drugs. These celebrities, media moguls, actors, singers, and other notable people have overcome these problems and are now better off without their addictions. Many celebrities overcame their addictions to become who they are today, and many never drank in the first place.
11 of My Favorite Famous Sobriety Quotes
Below are some of my favorite sobriety quotes from some famous people concerning alcohol addiction and/or substance abuse. Perhaps they’ll help inspire you.
- “Your best days are ahead of you. The movie starts when the guy gets sober and puts his life back together; it doesn’t end there.” – Bucky Sinister
- “When you quit drinking, you stop waiting.” – Caroline Knapp
- “I personally believe this: We have only today; yesterday’s gone, and tomorrow is uncertain. That’s why they call it the present. And sobriety really is a gift… for those who are willing to receive it.” – Ace Frehley
- “People were worried about me. It was to the point where I felt it was negatively affecting my relationships and getting in the way of things I wanted to accomplish in life. So I quit. … I am probably less embarrassing to [my wife] now.” – Tim McGraw
- “It’s like I have a loaded gun in my mouth, and I like the taste of metal. … The lesson is that you can still make mistakes and be forgiven.” – Robert Downey Jr.
- “I didn’t work or do anything. I wouldn’t go out, because you’d have to be in the car for 40 minutes without a drink. … That’s all drugs and alcohol do; they cut off your emotions in the end.” – Ringo Starr
- “I drank for about 25 years getting over the loss of my father, and I took the anger out on myself. I did a good job at beating myself up sometimes. … Getting sober was one of the three pivotal moments in my life, along with becoming an actor and having a child. Of the three, finding sobriety was the hardest thing.” – Gary Oldman
- “Sobriety was the greatest gift I ever gave myself. I don’t put it on a platform. I don’t campaign about it. It’s just something that works for me. It enabled me to really connect with another human being – my wife, Sheryl – which I was never able to do before.” – Rob Lowe.
- “My identity shifted when I got into recovery. That’s who I am now, and it actually gives me greater pleasure to have that identity than to be a musician or anything else, because it keeps me in a manageable size. When I’m down on the ground with my disease – which I’m happy to have – it gets me in tune. It gives me a spiritual anchor. Don’t ask me to explain.” – Eric Clapton
- I think recovery organizations are essential. I still participate in that because I enjoy the sharing that takes place and the friendship. … It’s been one of the greatest challenges that ever came along in my life; it was one of the more difficult things to do.” – Buzz Aldrin
- “Ya think that the whiskey tastes good? Try a big cup of sobriety – now that is the good stuff!” – Steven Tyler
Hopefully these sobriety quotes give you the inspiration you need to continue your journey in recovery. If these celebrities can do it, why can’t you? Give us a call today at 855-631-2135 to learn more about our rehab programs and addiction rehab services.
By Michelle Conway
Photo by: Alan Light (Flickr)