As people look to overcome drug abuse or alcohol addiction, in addition to therapy and improving one’s health it’s also good to see how others have achieved success and become who they are today. Many famous celebrities, athletes, and writers have overcome substance abuse or other trials to get where they are today, and in their success they never forgot where they came from and how they got here. Below I will share some of my favorite inspirational quotes that have not only helped me overcome personal demons, but surely have helped others in their quest in bettering themselves.
13 Of My Favorite Inspirational Quotes To Keep You Sober
1. “Alcohol ruined me financially and morally, broke my heart and the hearts of too many others. Even though it did this to me and it almost killed me and I haven’t touched a drop of it in seventeen years, sometimes I wonder if I could get away with drinking some now. I totally subscribe to the notion that alcoholism is a mental illness because thinking like that is clearly insane.” – Craig Ferguson
2. “Life is very interesting… in the end, some of your greatest pains, become your greatest strengths.” – Drew Barrymore
3. “In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” – Albert Einstein
4. “Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed down-stairs one step at a time.” – Mark Twain
5. “What is defeat? Nothing but education; nothing but the first step to something better.” – Wendell Phillips
6. “We always may be what we might have been.” – Adelaide Anne Proctor
7. “The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.” – Paul Valery
8. “With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
9. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” – Dr. Martin Luther King Junior
10. “If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.” – Thomas Edison
11. “When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.” – Helen Keller
12. “It’s not whether you get knocked down; it’s whether you get up.” – Vince Lombardi
13. “I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
How Do You Feel Now?
I hope that these sober quotes at least inspired you a little bit to help you through a tough time in your life. I know that a few of these helped me immensely get over my addiction, and whenever I’m feeling stressed or tired I’ll think of these fondly once again to keep a smile on my face. Take these bits of inspiration and be the change you want to be.