Fun Group Activities for those dealing with Substance Abuse
Morningside takes advantage of all the world-class activities available in Southern California to provide sober fun for all clients dealing with substance abuse. The outdoors and physical activity have a transformative presence that is central to discovering positive intentions and resources in clients. Our comprehensive treatment program is designed to incorporate fun group activities into each week. Every Friday the staff leads groups on a variety of entertaining recreational activities, such as whale watching, paint ball, even snowboarding. On a daily basis, clients take walks, jog, surf and watch the sun set into the ocean. A short list of the many group activities includes trips to Disneyland, kayaking, miniature golf, hiking, sailing to Catalina Island and other experiences that are both enjoyable and lend themselves to therapeutic ends.
Pleasurable activities help clients who may be suffering from anhedonia, which is the inability to experience pleasure from normally enjoyable life events and social interactions. Some people who have a long history of substance abuse, particularly methamphetamine and opiate abuse, will suffer from anhedonia early in their recovery. Moreover, participating in a group activity in the “here and now” directs patients’ attention to their behaviors, thoughts, and feelings, and helps them become aware of their responses to certain experiences. Group activities that connect to substance abuse therapy can be especially effective in dealing with mood disorders. During and after the group activity clients process the event and associated emotions to be better prepared for future real-world experiences.
Below are just a few the activities Morningside clients enjoy throughout the year:
- Barbecues – Often held on the beach and supervised by staff.
- Boat Charters – Newport Beach has great deep sea fishing and whale watching.
- Stand up Paddling – This growing sport can be learned in the calm waters of Newport Harbor or in nearby Laguna Beach.
- Touch Football – Usually played on the beach.
- Local NBA, MLB and NHL games.
- Swimming/surfing – The sandy beaches on the edge of the Pacific Ocean offer incredible serenity, and surfing lessons are available.
- Volleyball – This team activity is generally open to all who are fit enough to participate.
- Laguna Beach Sawdust Art Festival - Enthusiasts, collectors, and novice artists bring a mix of fine art and crafts.
- Movies – Across the street from Morningside’s clinical center is the historic Lido Theatre, which offers both mainstream and independent films.
- Painting or drawing – Art has long been therapeutic, and it’s a way of community building.
- Bowling – This group activity is fun and simple.
- Kayaking – The glassy waters of Newport Harbor are scenic and hold all levels of challenge on clear winter days.
- Hiking – The mild climate of Orange County is great for local nature excursions in the nearby canyons and foothills where wildlife is abundant.